Sunday, January 24, 2010

Garden Planning with S

When gardening catalogs arrive, I have to hide them from S until she finishes her homework. As soon as she sees them, she grabs a snack and a pen and settles herself at the table. I hear lots of "Oh, Mommy! Look! We could grow this!" and a little "Aww, that's really pretty but it's not in our zone." I only told her about USDA Hardiness Zones once. She asked what our zone is and I told her 7. Since then, she's looked for the hardiness zone of any plant she thinks is interesting. Spring isn't here yet but S already has a few specific plans like red geraniums in terra cotta pots on the porch "'cause that's pretty and hummingbirds like red." She's a few months shy of her 8th birthday and I'm afraid I've already taught her everything I know about plants and gardening. It's going to be fun to learn together.

No comments: